Thursday, October 24, 2013

Week 4 - Tween Boy Bedroom Update & Bench building and Furniture updates

We have been busy bees working on our son's room for the ORC!
I bet by now, all of you are pretty familiar with this awesome link party hosted by Linda from "Calling It Home".

We have been mostly doing a lot of  building and painting!

First, we got into building the bench for the Reading nook dormer...

Yup, we used Laundry cabinets!
We used laundry cabinets for the front since it was the perfect height for this space and it already came with 2 rows of shelves on the inside for books!

Building it in
 My handy-man a.k.a husband, worked his 'magic' and made it to look like this.

This is what it looks like from the top without the seat and how he attached it the walls.
It's pretty sturdy and he only used  one each of the 2' x 6' and 4"x 4" wood.
The Laundry cabinet cost us $89.99 + wood  put us about $110.
And here it is now with the foam seat we added!

Can't believe we built this thing!
We basically used a 3 inch foam, spray-glued batting and stapled this beautiful Navy & White striped Robert Allen Fabric onto the wooden seat! The wooden seat is made up of solid pine and very thick so no worries about staples cutting our boy's booty!

The best part was that all our materials for the foam seat were all 50% off at Joann's! So over all, this built-in bench cost us $178!!!!

I am also updating this...

Mid-century style dresser
It's a Salvation Army dresser I scored years ago for $5. It's in great shape except for a lot of deep scratches on the side and it was from "Marshall Fields" furniture line. For those not familiar with MF, it was a Chicago Store, bought out by Macy's in 2006(I think).

The dresser once 'lived' in my younger son's bedroom but he got a new white IKEA Malm dresser, so I thought it would make a great DIY furniture update project for me.


I am also hacking the IKEA Lack for one of the side tables...

Parsons-like LACK table from IKEA
I'll show you what it both  looks like next week and also the some of the other decorative updates I did for the space!


If you want to see the other posts about this space, click HERE,   HERE & HERE.
Now, let's go check on the others' progress!

Linking back to...

CHECK THE PARTY OUT HERE

45 comments:

  1. Bench looks AWEsome! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, I LOVE the bench! That has me thinking about the built in seating I want to do in our kitchen/dining/nook/multipurpose space. I may have to borrow this idea =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Vel! Isn't is awesome to have a husband who can take your design dreams and turn them into reality? Gotta love those boys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bench turned out great, and I bet your son will spend many happy hours on it. I love the lighting you picked out. It's really coming together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vel, you did an amazing job with that reading nook. I love the stripes and the bench, but using the cabinets was brilliant!! So good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the how your son's nook is coming along. Genius to use base cabinets as a bench.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! I love what you did to adjust for the non-standard sized opening! Can't wait to see the whole reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bench and reading nook looks great! Great idea to use the laundry cabinets. Also, love the $5 dresser score.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the window bench/reading nook! You guys did such a good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy, that bench looks GREAT! Looking forward to seeing how things come together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the white and blue you used for the reading nook bench. Look at the storage you get with the cabinets. Good thinking!!!! ..... Candy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to sit on that bench and read. What a great space!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cabinets-turned-bench is a great idea! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, love your custom built-in bench!!! Perfect for that small space.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea to use the cabinets and turned it into a custom built-in bench! Love the fabrics you use for the seating. Excited to see everything come together!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. That window seat is absolutely gorgeous - all of it - loved how you used the cabinetry and incorporated the seat on top. Looking forward to seeing the completed space.
    Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great built in bench Vel, and I love the striped walls:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, awesome idea for a built in bench! Lov'n the striped walls too. I found you over at the Pin Junkie party.
    Marie@InteriorFrugalista

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the built in bench. It was brilliantly thought about. I love this for my living area which serves as a playing area of my kids. This is a great cabinet for storing my kids toys

    ReplyDelete
  20. The nook looks great! Loving the built-in bench and those sconces are fab there!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That window bench loooooks GREAT! Looking forward to see how you update the dresser, I like its clean lines ;) Have a great weekend, Vel!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great use for the space (and I love the sconces!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is awesome and so easy! I wish I would have found it before we started renovating our mudroom!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great little space! Love the blue & white on the walls and the bench. The sconces are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That bench is perfect there! Dormer spaces are hard, but that is a great use for that space and it gives you hidden storage. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Vel!!!! This area came out so great, I LOVE the built in bench!! How awesome!!!!! Great job to you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG!!!! That built-in bench looks like a million bucks!!! Amazing! I better step it up this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. So many gorgeous choices, Vel! Love the bench and the lighting and that bold stripe. Looking fab over there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a cozy spot - and love the grain sack inspired stripe!! I have a few attic nooks like this - great way to make it usable.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  30. The blue and white striping looks stunning! Great idea to use laundry cabinets and you are so fortunate to have a handy husband.:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow - this is looking good! That is great fabric and your husband's carpentry skills are amazing. Looking forward to the future installments!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Vel, Your son's room looks cute with the stripes and the bench turned out wonderful.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  33. If that awesome space doesn't make you want to curl up with a book! Such a great idea to use the cabinets! I love the striped seat with the stripe on the wall, too! Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is an absolutely perfect solution for such a space! The room is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a great nook! I love how this room is turning out.

    ReplyDelete
  36. That little nook looks awesome! I love the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love how the space is coming together Vel! What a cozy little book - the bench looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. The room is really coming together so well. I'm sure your son must be so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a great project, I am in love with your seating area! I could definately see myself curled up with a book :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. This looks amazing, Vel. I can't wait to see the rest of the projects finished.

    ReplyDelete
  41. That window seat is amazing. I love the little corner you've created!

    ReplyDelete
  42. The bench looks amazing. I think this will be my favorite place if this is my house. https://nwpsocal.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! Hope you can stop by again sometime! Have a Wonderful Day!!