Friday, June 15, 2012

A side table Dilemma

I am on a hunt.

Actually, I've been on a hunt for months! I just can't decide on the best side table for our living room with the correct look and value for the money.

I mean, I see a table I like, but the problem most of the time is that, the price is way off my radar or I have my doubts on it for some other reason! I'm sure you know what I'm talkin' about. Anyhow, here is our side table now...

Living room

I know, not bad at all. These IKEA Lack table for $12 a piece is definitely a keeper ( it will head off to our Basement family room). But for our living room now, I really wanted a taller and more substantial piece. Something that will also be a keeper and at the same time, will look great no matter what I end up changing in our living room.


Here are my options starting with the cheaper ones...


1)Homedecorator's Parsons end table


Subtle modernist table
PROS: At $99 + 15 (shipping), this 24 inches high lacquer cube is a good knock-off of the high-end Jonathan Adler Lacquer table for $350++! I like that this is similar to our old one, taller and more substantial and definitely very versatile.

CONS: However, my problem is the bottom - although I love that it covers the floor space underneath (which I need because of all the wiring under), I feel that this would not be FLAT on the floor because the bottom is solid.


2) Overstock's Tacoma weathered table


Go-with-anything table

PROS: Priced at $124.49, 24.5 inches high, this one is also a keeper. I love it's weathered-wood look and I love that it is a no fuss table. A lot easier for someone with 2 boys like me. I also love the extra storage space underneath - great for books, game boards and other knick-knack.

CONS: I'm not sure though if it will go well with my Custom chairs below....???

Add caption


3) Overstock's Jade End table






Simple with a twist



PROS: At $151.9, 23 inches high, this one is also well-priced and looks more high-end. I love the glass top (although mirrored would make this super fab more) and the cute shelf underneath.

CONS: Glass top may not be the best for our house-hold and cleaning it up for fingerprints may drive me nuts.



Now let's start with the high-end ones and probably considered, "Dream Side tables" because as the name implies , high-end means high-priced..


4)) Crate and Barrel Driftwood Side table

Naturally Gorgeous
PROS: At 24.5 inches high and it's super gorgeous organic look, I have been in love with this table for over a year! I just love how natural it looks and that it seems so modern yet so "old". I like that its color is also neutral enough for any decor.

CONS:  No surprise at all here, for $399 ++, this one is something I may never be able to replace because of how expensive it is alone! I also think it may look better in a woodsy more masculine space.


5) Zgallerie's Encore end table

Simple yet sophisticated
PROS: Yup, this is gorgeous. I love mirrored furniture and I never had one, so this may be my first. It is sleek yet elegant enough in our living room space.

CONS: Again, the price, at $399 ++, I would be heartbroken if something cracks or smashes this delicate top.  :-(


6) Jonathan Adler Regent table

High-end in all aspects
PROS: You know I'm a huge Jonathan Adler fan (e.g . take a look at my post on this infatuation). And getting a furniture from his line is a dream for me. I love this marble top- too classy and oh-so-sturdy and beautiful!!!! Love it!

CONS: Other than its sky-high price ($795), this table is also the shortest of my choices,  16 inches tall, kinda like the same height as my Lack table.

7)  Zinc door's Alexander Side table

Definitely only in my dreams
Finally, my ultimate Dream table. A dream because, at the price of  $1873 per table, I could buy a whole new living room and more for that kind of money! Hew! just thinking about the price makes me sweat! But it is lovely, a true heirloom (because you can't re-sell this one for the same price for sure - unless your Michelle Obama or someone like that), timeless design and just perfect for our space.


So you see what I mean about having difficulty choosing a side table? I know, it's a great "problem" to have and "solving" it will be even more fun.


Let me know your thoughts, I would love to hear them. My "perfect" side table may not be in any of these choices, it may be lurking in a yard sale or estate sale somewhere, who-knows


Have a great weekend!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I think the white ones are my favorites(nice contrast to all your brown furniture). My favorite is the jade but would pair it with either the parson or encore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charmaine! I adore your Brass side table in your living room. I wonder kailan ako makakakita ng ganun sa mga estate sale escapade ko! LOL! I love all of them like I said, but I'm in no rush since, it's yard sale and estate sale season! hehehe! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I really think your Ikea tables look good, but I understand about the height issue. As such, I'd stick with the Parson's style. Your chairs are absolutely gorgeous, but they've got a LOT going on there, so simple may be better. You mentioned mirrored would be even better? You could always have beveled mirrors cut to fit the top (and a cheapy, "see how we like it" solution might be to use the reflective mirror spray paint on the top of the ikea tables. If you hate it on them, you'll know NOT to spend the money on the others -- plus a quick paint will return them to their former glory --, but if you love it you'll be able to feel even more confident in your decision!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot TrelaRott! I am actually really leaning more towards the white parsons or the jade table with a cute mirror on top, especially with how my living room looks now - check it out with this link (http://buhayatbahay.blogspot.com/2012/07/living-room-update_04.html), I didn;t even know there was such a thing as a mirrored spray pain! wow! thanks again for your help! :-)

      Delete
    2. Krylon, maybe? It's called Looking Glass. Easy to use, and while not as great as an ACTUAL mirror, totally works for the "look."

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! Hope you can stop by again sometime! Have a Wonderful Day!!